Have you been waiting with bated breath for the latest entry into the Star Wars universe? Catch up on the basics with this quick spoiler-free review of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.
What’s it about?
The Force, lightsaber battles, X-wings, a faceless evil with a doomsday weapon, the Millennium Falcon…everything you loved about the Original Trilogy is here, and it’s all in the opening crawl: 30 years after Return of the Jedi, the galaxy is in peril once again, and only one man can save it.
Is it any good?
- My vote for movie of the year, and the best Star Wars film in almost two generations. Beautiful drama, intelligent and realistic dialogue, and heart-pounding action with an excellent payoff.
- The new characters are as well fleshed-out as the old, contributing to and advancing the plot without getting in the way of the old guard.
- Action scenes are fast, to be sure. Sometimes hard to follow, but incredibly immersive nonetheless.
- Some plot threads were not developed quite as much as I would have liked, but there’s an entire trilogy and set of spinoff movies to rectify that!
- It’s modern Star Wars: it feels like Star Wars, but it’s also a modern interpretation of the format. In a good way. After the prequels, I’d almost forgotten what that meant.
Should I see it?
If you liked A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, and if the prequels left you wanting, then absolutely you should!
What should I watch for?
The father/son dynamic, the characters that are resisting their purpose, and the power of myth. If I tell you more, it’ll be too much, but feel free to put your (spoiler-free!) observations and reflections below!
Perfectly put David. Really good movie as a stand alone film and an excellent continuation of a story I started loving, pretending and enjoying when I was 8 years old.
I agree completely! Glad you enjoyed the review.